This is not a bakery-style muffin but rather even better. Two large apples and all-bran cereals with cinnamon and brown sugar, thus the name! These are the stars that makes the best breakfast muffin, "moist, slightly sweet, fruity and hearty, all in one.
Muffins have different variations and if you are on the internet, on the quest for the best muffin recipe, it could be overwhelming because there are too many of them. To narrow it down, you want muffins to fill your entire kitchen with the sweet, inviting and warming aroma, then this breakfast muffin is right for you.
In the first place, we often look for what feels good. These "feel-good" ingredients add, texture, flavor, moisture, aroma, sweet taste and nutrition.
Above all, you will also need all the basic ingredients to make a muffin beautiful and delicious apart from adding the "feel-good" ingredients.
Note for the apple, use any kind of apples you have on hand.
- Unsalted butter to add richness and moist.
- Eggs to provide structure plus it's nutritional value.
- All-purpose flour to build structure.
- Brown sugar to add sweetness, flavor and moist.
- Baking soda and baking powder are responsible to aerates the muffin.
See the recipe card for quantities.
There are two pieces of equipment you can use to grate apples, either use a grater box or use a food processor with a grating disc. Choose which one is easier for you. As can be seen, all you need is a thick ribbon of grated apples, not chunky or puree.
As soon as grated apples are ready, add the sugar. In a separate medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Using a large mixing bowl, whisk all the wet ingredients and then add the apple mixture followed by the flour mixture.
Using a rubber spatula, fold gently all the ingredients to combine.
Scoop the batter into the buttered muffin tin, sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar on top, and bake.
Hint: Now, Instead of using a standard muffin tin, use 6 jumbo muffin tin but add extra 5-8 minutes of baking time. For easy muffin removal or easy cleanup either use a muffin paper cup liner or improvised parchment paper.
Should you want to opt for a more savory muffin, you can add ¼ teaspoon of dried or freshly grated ginger to add zest and more depth of flavor.
Maybe you want to opt for more textured and rich toppings. Add a tablespoon of cold salted or unsalted butter to the cinnamon-sugar mixture and rub using your fingertips to mix and then, add your favorite nuts or seeds.
The large hole on the wide side of the box grater are well used in my kitchen and it is even getting worn out. I use this side to grate thick ribbons of apples so as not to lose the apple ones mixed in the batter and baked.
This muffin recipe can accommodate using a 12 standard muffin tin or use 6 jumbo muffin tin and add more time to bake.
Store baked and cooled muffin in a sealed container which will stay good for 2-3 days at room temperature.
These muffins stand up well in the freezer for 1-3 months stored in a well-sealed freezer bag.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients by hand and fold them gently using a rubber spatula. Do not over mix and avoid over-baking to keep it tender and moist.
Brown sugar and cinnamon toppings are optional. Bake without toppings and as soon as it comes out of the oven, sprinkle dust of cinnamon for an extra sweet aroma.
Breakfast apple muffins
- 1 standard muffin tin
- Large mixing bowl
- whisk and spatula
- 250 grams Grated apples, (1 cup, packed ) or 2 large apples
- 80 grams (⅓ cup, packed) light brown sugar
- 150 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- ½ Teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon powder
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 80 grams (1 cup) All bran cereals
- 114 grams (½ cup) Unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Large Eggs, room temperature
cinnamon-sugar topping (optional)
- ¼ Cup Light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine grated apples and sugar in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the Bran and mix thoroughly.
- Whisk the eggs and melted butter in a large mixing bowl. Add the apple mixture using a rubber spatula to incorporate. Add the flour mixture and fold gently until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into a muffin tin and evenly sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar topping is using. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a tester comes out clean and smells warm and sweet.
- Let it cool for five minutes before removing from the baking tin.
- "Buds" cereal can be used in place of all bran cereals.
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour in place of ¼ cup flour and the cereals.