Do we really need another watermelon and cucumber salad recipe? The truth is, not really! But this sweet and juicy watermelon, watery and crunchy cucumber, salty and creamy feta cheese, fragrant and refreshing mint leaves, and a pouting freshly squeezed lemon juice provide me with a valid reason to share it with you for us to talk about it. It is amazing!
The watermelon and cucumber salad recipe is believed by many that it is best on a hot sunny day. But I disagree! Cucumbers and watermelons are always available all year round (talking about here in Canada, maybe even where you are- maybe you could tell me) This salad recipe is delightful that is meant to give joy any time of the year or whenever is available.
This was inspired by my thirst quencher summer watermelon lemonade on this site, and pairs well with this flavorful cilantro-lime grilled chicken. To make it even more nourishing, this easy quinoa and lentils in a pot will make it perfect.
For obvious reasons, we can't deny it - watermelon is the star of this recipe. Why? You can eat it just like that and yummm! But adding more ingredients and complimenting each other makes it soo utterly enjoyable.
- Feta cheese
- Lemon juice and zest
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to pick a good watermelon?
Picking a sweet and ripe watermelon can be tricky. However, some external signs may help indicate a ripe, underripe or rotten watermelon.
- Rind appearance - Check the field spot. A large yellow spot indicates it spent more time in the vine ripening.
- Look for a uniform shape - Make sure it has a symmetrical and uniform shape without cuts or bumps. Bumps and cuts could be a sign of the presence of insects or fungus.(*)
- Tapping technique - The most popular among watermelon enthusiasts. A deep sound delivers a ripe one but a hollow or flat sound indicates over-ripe.
- Check firmness - A ripe watermelon should have a thick rind so that when you scratch, your nails should not get easily break through.
- Lift it - a ripe and sweet watermelon should feel heavy when you lift it up. It indicates full of water which means juicier.
Hint: Do not ever forget to zest the lemon. It is the very intense sweet and citrusy flavor of the lemon zest that brings you to the next level of satisfaction.
This watermelon and cucumber salad are very straightforward and easy. Like many other salad recipes, they are not meant to be stored for a longer period of time. Once made and tossed together, just give it a few minutes for the flavor to mary each other and then serve. Otherwise, storing them longer will give you that watery, limpy and uninterested salad.
The best watermelon and cucumber salad
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 4 cups Cubed or watermelon
- 2 cups sliced cucumber
- ¾ cup Crumbled feta cheese
- 10 pieces Mint leaves, chiffoned
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the watermelon, cucumber, crumbled feta cheese, sliced mint leaves and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil and lemon juice and then toss delicately. Let it sit for a few minutes but not more than 10 minutes. dust with freshly ground black pepper and serve.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove