Bread is one of my favorite food, butter has a rich flavor and creamy texture, and the best ingredient for my savory cooking is... garlic! Putting them all together is what I thought about nirvana. This Homemade garlic bread recipe is a perfect side for hearty soups, stew dinner, meat, and salad.
When I first moved here in Canada, I figured that I could live with just bread slathered with butter, like having a bowl of steamed rice drizzled with soy sauce - as simple as that, and I'm happy. However, not until the very first family that I worked for introduced me to this American cousin of Italian bruschetta, garlic bread. I fell in love with it deeply - I love bread and butter, and garlic that I can't live without for all of my savory cooking - It is damn good, really!
I like a crackly and crispy exterior (but not extremely crusty) with pillowy interior bread but for garlic bread, a light crusted bread that's airy with a little chew is what we want. A bread that is just perfect for stirring, dipping and slathering with butter. There are no rules when it comes to bread but you would rather save the soft bread loaves for peanut butter and jam sandwich.
Tips for making garlic bread
The secret of making homemade garlic bread is making it simple with a lot of garlic and a generous amount of butter. It is one of the easiest cooking or baking you will ever have, but be very careful because it smells and tastes delicious and addictive!
- Many thought butter is just an artery clogging ingredients but it is nutritiously delicious! So, being stingy or generous? it's up to you.
- Garlic is a must, thus the name. Grind it, mush it or grate it, there's no other way to prepare it, just so simple.
- Add herbs for extra flavor. My favorites but not limited to rosemary, thyme, oregano and fresh parsley.
- Cheese, this is optional but hell yeah! you will stand out! I couldn't explain exactly how good it is, the only way to find out is to try to making the recipe below. Parmesan cheese is what I like the best.
Home made garlic bread and soups to dunk in
You might want to try these delicious soups.
- Chicken meatball soup with herb pesto
- Wheat, barley-oat blend and mushroom soup
- The best cheesy winter tomato soup
This No-knead artisan bread recipe is another real, easy, and spectacular homemade bread for your next garlic bread. Or you might want to try this one bread recipe that can be formed into different shapes to please.
The best homemade garlic bread recipe in 13 minutes
- baking sheet
- 8 tablespoons Butter, soften or slightly melted
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- 5 cloves Garlic, about 3 tablespoon - minced or grated
- 2 teaspoons Dried oregano
- 1 Whole crusty bread (baguette, any artisan bread, french bread, Italian bread or long loaf bread ►recipe link below)
- 1 cup Grated parmesan cheese, lightly packed (optional)
- Set the oven rack at the lower third and then preheat the oven to broil.
- Blend all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl thoughtfully.
- Slice the bread and arrange it into the baking sheet. Evenly spread the garlic butter on the top side of the bread. Sprinkle the grated parmesan on top (if using only ). Transfer into the oven and broil for 3 minutes or until it smells amazing and has a nice golden brown on top. Remove immediately from the oven. Enjoy while it is warm!
Use any kind of crusty bread you prefer.
- once you put the bread in the oven, do not wander around as it could get burned quickly. Always use your sense of smell.
- experiment with other herbs like rosemary, thyme or other spice and herb blend.
- Long loaf bread recipe